Sometimes you have to make your own road to get where you want to go.
"A man should look for what is, and not what he thinks there should be." - Albert Einstein
"Don't let schooling interfere with your education." - Mark Twain
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe anything simply because it is found in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Buddha
"A single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." - Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

          In light of it being Thanksgiving, I wanted to take a moment to share what I am thankful for. This is something that comes very easy to me, as I have been practicing an attitude of gratitude for some time now due to my belief in the Law of Attraction. I wake up every morning being grateful for all the things I have and people that are in my life, and as I lay my head on my pillow every night, I say in my mind, "Thank you for all that my life is."
          For starters, I am thankful for my parents, who provided a wonderful foundation for me to build on. Their example of love and marriage gave me standards that I did not waver from as I approached my teen years and began really paying attention to potential husbands. I am thankful for what each of them taught me and the love they showed me personally. I never doubted how proud they were of me growing up, even when I made mistakes.
          I am thankful for my one and only sister, who was my best friend growing up. She made me laugh like no one else did, and although we had our fights and moments of jealousy, I never doubted her love for me either. She stuck up for me when I needed someone to back me up, and she instilled a healthy level of competition in me that drove me to always try to do better and work harder at everything. And even though we are not as close now because our lives have become very different, I still look up to her and am thankful for the part she still plays in my life today.
          I am thankful for all the people that have come through my life that I have called friends. Most of them have come and gone. Many of them took advantage of me, took me for granted, back stabbed me, slandered me, or just outright dumped me with no warning whatsoever, but I am still thankful for them because without them, I would not know what people to be cautious of. Without them, I would not have worked on my own character as well to make sure I was never like them. Without them I would not have recognized the contrast and kept my eyes peeled for people with better character, thus finding the amazing friends I have in my life today, which I am even more thankful for...  they are friends that I now know truly love me and will be a part of my life for many many years to come.
           I am thankful for my husband, Sean, who has shown me a love that I didn't know before him. I am thankful for the unique relationship that we have. Others may not understand it, but it has allowed us to prove to each other in every way how much we really love, trust, and cherish each other. He has stuck by me and loved me even when I was so unlovable. He tried to see the best in me when I was at my absolute worst. I am thankful for his heart and that he has always had the ability to let criticism and ugliness roll right off his back. He has balanced me out over the years and has helped me to become the positive dreamer I am today. I am thankful for our deep talks and how he makes me laugh so much. He is so much fun and there is no one else I would rather spend time with. I am so proud of him for working so hard to show me he wants me, and I am proud of him for doing what was necessary to provide, care for and love our children. He is always striving to be better, and that is an amazing quality.
          I am thankful for my children, who teach me something new every day. They test my patience, and that is a good thing. I need more patience. They make me laugh and make me proud to be their mom. I learn from them in ways they will never understand until they have kids of their own. The mysteries of the universe are summed up in the minds and hearts of children, I believe, so although raising children is no walk in the park, being a mom is an opportunity to gain knowledge of how we are to truly live and what we are really capable of in this life. My kids show me how to love unconditionally and how to dream and find joy in the smallest things in life. I greatly appreciate that about them.
          I am thankful for my mind. I realize it is a little different and unique, but it has allowed me to achieve things that other people thought weren't possible. I am thankful for my intuitiveness and my ability to understand people even when they won't open up. I am thankful for the love I have instilled in me that allows me to reach out to people with a caring heart even when I know they don't really care about me back. The grace that I feel for people makes it very easy to forgive and not let others negativity bring me down. My hunches have kept me from making a lot of mistakes and have given me insight into situations, and I am thankful for that. My mind still boggles and mystifies me at times, but I am thankful for what I am learning every day about how to harness my own power to make my life exactly what I want it to be and to help others. It has already taken me so so far in life.
          I am thankful for what we call God and how the Universe works, for it has given me the power and ability to create my life how I want it. It has given me every good thing I have ever hoped for and allows me to achieve impossible feats. It has given me the ability to attain those things money can't buy and even the things that money can buy. My reality is what I say it is, and I am forming it every day. I am thankful that the creative power and balance of the universe lives within me and all I had to do was find it. I am thankful that everyone has this power within them so that we are not at the mercy of the world, but the world is at our mercy and we merely have to learn our capabilities. That knowledge is so relieving to know and understand because it gives me hope in humanity. I feel like people want to be better, and so I also believe that the world that we live in IS gradually getting better until one day we will all understand that we are in control of our destinies and will make this world a heaven for all by the positive thoughts we hold in our minds and the love in our hearts for each other. The gratitude I have for the source of our existence is so overwhelming, even if I don't fully understand what it is.
          I encourage you all to make every day thanksgiving within your minds. Every day upon waking, look at the day like you need to acknowledge what you are thankful for, just like many of you did this very morning. Make a habit of it, and I promise, if your life isn't what you want it to be currently, it will soon correspond to the feeling of gratitude and happiness that you maintain and "the Universe will open doors for you where there were only walls."


Have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving!

No comments: